Saturday, November 7, 2009

O'Keefe at the Whitney

Today, Christian and I were good New Yorkers (for the most part).  We got up, got some brunch and went to the Whitney to see the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit currently on display there.  

I really like O'Keefe.  Growing up in New Mexico, I would mostly see her skull paintings and I wasn't crazy about those.  But, as I got older and I got to see more of her work, it started drawing me in.  In law school, my seminar class was actually held in a room at the library that was all O'Keefe prints.  They soothed me.  

Really, I know very little about art and I have no idea how to look at art critically but I just find her work simply beautiful.  Also, even though I know everything she did wasn't meant to be sexual, there's almost always a sexuality to me in every one of her pieces.  

This exhibit had several of her series and it was intriguing  to see her do the same subject in different ways.  Each time the subject became softer and more abstract.  

Of course, one of the highlights for me was seeing my favorite piece Blue Flower.  The Whitney borrowed it from the O'Keefe museum in Santa Fe.  This is my third time seeing it in person.  It stops me in my tracks every time.  Now, I just wish I could find a print of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment